Running Reflections: Miguel on the Miwok 100k

CFR Member Miguel G ran his first 100k race last weekend at the Miwok 100k in Stinson Beach, California. This article originally appeared on Miguel's blog Run Moo Run. Congrats on a great race, Miguel!

Miwok100k Rant

My first time writing about one of my races. I'll give it a try.

Going into Miwok100k, I was sorta stressed. I have never ran that distance before. The closes I've ever come to that was 60k. I'm new to ultra running. I started on this krazy need to run trail and high mileage when I moved to New Zealand for a year. I moved there to run. Before moving there I was a road runner. Marathon and half marathons were my go to distance. I would often come across a runner that would tell me about running further than a Marathon, I would ask them; why run that much are you crazy? Haha, now I get asked that all the time.

Getting back to Miwok, I can honestly say the training up to this race was on point to get me across the finish line. And it did. I remember telling Sage/Sandi, I will do what you tell me to do to make sure I do well. My goal was simple, I just wanted to finish. The distance scared me. My training began, I've raced other shorter distances leading up to this race.

I would ask other runners and treads to tell me about Miwok. I kept hearing the same thing over and over. Take your time, it's a hard course. It's not a fast race. And weeks of looking at the profile for the course, I kinda mimic the course on my training runs, Sage/Sandi would hand me a weeks worth of runs and I would set out to make sure I was doing it right.

We land in SFO Friday evening with very little time to drive over to look for the starting line. I hate looking for the starting line in the morning(Plus we had to check in at 4am). when we got there it was a bit chilly and misty. I thought to myself; if this is the kinda of weather I will have tomorrow morning I'll do great.

Morning of, I check in and feeling good and a bit nervous. I had a half a muffin and a cup of coffee. Not enough I know. I said hi to Eric, another RMR runner.

I lined up closer to the front I didn't want to start at the back didn't feel like walking to much. And didn't want to start at the front, I knew those guys would set the pace fast off the start. So I decided to set my own pace. Must of been a good pace, I had 8-10 runners running with me. I did set a faster pace than I want for the first 50k. But I was consistent. Up and down. I attacked the uphills at a good pace, no need to walk (I would run by myself on the climbing the others would walk it) the down hills I was saving myself. To early in the races to stress myself. Plus I had a long ways to go. (I used our leaders model; no need to walk if you can get there faster if you run) Ryan Smith. Happy to say I probably walked a total of 10 mins. So I get to the 50k point, and I am way a head of schedule, my partner is not there yet, I wait for him. I needed the mixer of sport drink(Carbopro) he had, the race had tailwind and that was a bit sweet. I knew I was going to fast and needed to slow down. But the first half was the hard part, so they said! Haha ok, I was feeling awesome. But I did slow it down. Anything could happen in the next 50k. I focused more on just getting to the next aid station. I was knocking the miles off like a boss. But I didn't want to get to cocky, Ive heard everyone talk about the 50 mile, and how hard one can hit the wall. I am happy to say I never hit the wall. Trust me I know the wall, I often visit the wall a couple time on 50ks races. I remember getting to the last aid station and there was a group of 6-7 runners that kept each other going for the last 50k. We all arrived to the last aid station together. I remember them get what they needed to finish the last strecth, I watched them all take off, one of them yelled back to me and said; you can relax you'll catch us I'm sure. I smiled and said. I'll you in a bit. I got some info from a guy helping out at the aid station, he told me its 6.7 miles and your done, 4 miles of full exposed to the sun. Then the rest is a straight shot down hill. He's like; be careful it's very technical and slow take your time your done anyways. And it finally hit me, I had surpassed my goal and I was feeling good. So my last goal was to hunt down the last runners. I did, I lingered behind them for the 4 miles on the ridge. They start to slow down they were tired. As for me, I had so much energy and feeling strong. When I seen the guy in front go into the redwoods I new I had to make my move. I did, I turned on my top gear, I pretended I was going down Gregory canyon back home chasing down the RMR guys/ladies. All I remember is yelling the whole way down as I passed runner and hikers and more runners. It was a full sprint for 2 miles. I left it all on that last stretch. When I finished, I waited there by the finish line to thank everyone that ran with me the last 50k. I stood there proudly wearing the RMR shirt. I didn't win or place but I had one heck of a race. Zero aches, no cramps, no bonking. Best race yet to this day..... (I over heard a guy say; he must run a lot of 100ks, I responded; no it's my first. He said, you are one to look at. Made me super happy that someone thought I was awesome)

Fuel- I knew that I needed to fuel early and often, I stopped and ate at every aid station. PBJ mini bites and watermelon were my go to foods, I used a total of ten Vfuel gels, 6 salt tablets, 2 caffeine pills, and at the last aid station 2 cokes. I used KT tape to help support my knees and IT band. I think it worked had zero aches or problems along the way..

Thanks to my awesome coaches and my family and friends that support me on my krazy adventures..


Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square